Kay County Justice Facilities Authority

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Newkirk, Oklahoma

 

 

The Trustees of the Kay County Justice Facilities Authority (JFA) met in special session at 1:00 p.m., Tuesday, December 23, 2008, in the Commissioners Court of the Kay County Courthouse in Newkirk, Oklahoma.  Notice of the special meeting was posted for public information on December 19, 2008, at the Courthouse front door, Commissioners Court, and basement handicapped entrance of the Kay County Courthouse in Newkirk, Oklahoma.

 

Chairman Bruce Robinson called the meeting to order.  Those present were as follows:  Trustees – Vice-Chairman Carl Giddens; Darrel Grossardt; Jim Stieber; Everette Van Hoesen, Kay County Sheriff; Laile Wilson, Kay County Commissioner; Wes Young; Don Jones, Jail Consultant; Attorney David Cummings; Joe Harris and Tim Rodriguez, Kay Electric Cooperative; Bill and Claude Williams, Taxpayers for Transparency; Sharon Rowen, Ponca City News; Tammy Reese, Kay County Clerk/Secretary (see sign-in sheet).  Norris Frederick, absent.

 

Motion was made by Young and seconded by Grossardt approving regular meeting minutes of December 5, 2008.  Motion carried.

 

Jail Consultant Don Jones reported the construction documents are 80 percent ready for bid; remaining 20 percent will be to check for errors and omissions.   The bids are posted on a file sharing site with construction manager and interested contractors.

 

Chairman Robinson told the audience he requested a new proposal from Kay Electric based on a full year instead of a six month period on usage and kilowatts.

 

Joe Harris, General Manager for Kay Electric Cooperative, presented the JFA members with a spreadsheet.  The spreadsheet indicated the savings on Kay Electric Cooperative’s rate for 12 months would be $49,034.48, a 28.10 percent of savings compared to the City of Newkirk.

 

Member Giddens reminded JFA members that there are three things (sewer, water, electric) to be considered and all costs should be factored in. 

 

Other members expressed their feelings concerning utility service and rates and some commented they felt the City of Newkirk was trying to hold them hostage.

 

Discussion was made concerning a sewer/lagoon and the necessary requirements, encompassing around 21 acres and having a buffer zone between properties.

 

Motion was made by Grossardt and seconded by Giddens Tabling Resolution for approving a petition to seek annexation into the city limits of Newkirk, Oklahoma and a commitment to obtain utility services subject to specific provisions as set forth in the petition.  Robinson commented the JFA is not ready to submit a Resolution indicating they needed more time for consideration.  Motion carried.

 

Motion was made by Grossardt and seconded by Giddens approving payment to David Cummings, Attorney fees for September 19, 2008, through December 5, 2008, and miscellaneous expenses in the amount of $9,915.25.  Motion carried.

 

Attorney David Cummings called for a recess at 2:15 p.m.

 

Robinson reconvened the special meeting at 2:25 p.m.

 

Motion was made by Van Hoesen and seconded Young authorizing the following personnel as Requisitioning Officers – Bruce Robinson, Carl Giddens, Laile Wilson; Receiving Agents – Tammy Reese, Patsy Leyva; and Inventory Clerks – Tammy Reese, Patsy Leyva for the JFA Gross Revenue Account FY 2008-2009. Motion carried.

 

Motion was made by Stieber and seconded by Van Hoesen to enter into a contract with Sedalco Construction Services as Construction Manager-At-Risk to the Kay County Jail construction project and authorizing Chairman Robinson to sign contracts.  Motion carried.

 

There being no other business, Robinson called for adjournment (2:35 p.m.).  Motion carried.

 

 

******************************************

 

Approved this 23rd day of January, 2009.

 

                                                                             _________________________________

                                                                             Bruce Robinson, Chairman

 

Attest:

 

 

________________________________________

Tammy Reese, County Clerk

County of Kay, State of Oklahoma

Secretary, Kay County Justice Facilities Authority

 

(This meeting was audio recorded and the recording is available for public inspection)

 

 

 

******************************************